Tags: alternator, Auto Service, battery light, car repair, charging, charging system, dead battery, dim lights
Chances are your battery is dead. But why? There are 4 main causes of battery drain:
1) An Old Battery – The average lifespan of a battery is 4 years. They simply wear out and need to be replaced.
2) Operator Error – The headlights, dome light or other component has been left on. Many new cars have alerts for the headlights but not other components.
3) Parasitic Drain – Although some parasitic drain is normal to keep your clock and radio settings, etc., if there is an electrical problem, it can deplete your battery.
4) Charging System Failure – The alternator, by way of electrical wiring, charges your battery and powers certain electrical systems. A failure in the electrical wiring or a defective alternator diode can cause your battery to drain.
There can be signs that your battery or charging system might be failing:
* Dim headlights or dashboard lights
* Dashboard warning light is illuminated – battery symbol, ALT or GEN
* Grinding or whining noise
* Burnt rubber odor
* Vehicle not starting promptly, or not starting at all
If your vehicle exhibits any of these symptoms, please give us a call or use our convenient online form to schedule an appointment so that we can perform the necessary diagnosis and repair to keep you from being stranded!